The area through which Cho Gao Street now runs was, just over a hundred years ago, part of the estuary where the To Lich River flowed into the (Red) River. Before the smaller To Lich was filled in, there were a number of wharves near the mouth of the river. Rice was one of the commodities that was offloaded. Hence, the area became a regional hub for the rice trade and remained so even after the Tp Lich and its estuary were filled in. The locals began calling the area exactly what it was Cho Gao. The French were not as specific: they referred to this bustling area as Place du Commerce. After the August 1945 Revolution, the Hanoi, authorities reinstated the street’s Vietnamese name.
Because of its location near Long Bien Bridge and its function as a transit point, one of the city’s three public bathhouses was established on Cho Gao Street. It has since been closed, but still stands at the junction of Cho Gao, Nguyen Sieu, and Dao Duy Tu Street, where it has recently been converted into a very fashionable bia hơi (draft beer) establishment.